Want to learn how to make large-scale mosaics? Curious how a design on paper gets translated to multimedia on a wall? Eager to learn more about how public art can transform a community? Join us! Green Star Movement is seeking visual artists for our Public Mural Arts Program Internships. Interns work under the supervision of Green Star staff to provide assistance with our programs. In addition to refining their mosaic, sculpture, and painting techniques, interns gain valuable experience in a leadership role and develop both communication and problem-solving skills.
By the end of the internship, interns will:
- Understand how Green Star Movement fulfills its mission to inspire students and community members through the creation of public art
- Know the design and execution processes for creating a bricolage mosaic
- Gain skills in the fundamentals of bricolage mosaic (tiling, grouting, mirror-cutting, sculpture, mixing/coloring mortar, etc.)
- Develop relationship-building skills with youth
- Be able to teach/lead a small group of students or volunteers in tasks and activities
- Be able to give positive constructive feedback to youth and volunteers
- Be able to prepare the work site for the day's tasks and conduct clean up
Requirements: Interns must commit to 2 days a week for at least 8 weeks; be 18 years or older; have a passion for visual arts; feel comfortable working with youth; and have a strong work ethic.