L.H. Selman Ltd. is the largest and most respected auction house and dealer in fine glass paperweights. We are looking for an ideal candidate to join our energetic team in downtown Chicago's beautiful Fine Arts Building on Michigan Avenue, on a flexible part-time basis.
We are looking for an ideal candidate to join our energetic team in downtown Chicago's beautiful Fine Arts Building on Michigan Avenue, on a flexible part-time basis.
- Learn how to catalog and research glass art; including identifying antique and contemporary artists and evaluating condition
- Learn how an auction catalog is developed and published
- Learn the basics of researching the art market; learn how values and estimates are set for auction
- Learn different handling procedures for owned and consigned inventory
- Learn how to implement safe storage, packing and shipping procedures for glass art
- Work with each department (Sales, Consignment, Inventory) to learn about the different responsibilities each position holds
- Assist with research and writing descriptions for incoming inventory and the auction catalog
- Assist in the editing process for the auction catalog; assign lot numbers to inventory
- Learn to navigate our database and auction website; update and maintain records
- Create invoices and build transactions in our database
- Catalog incoming paperweights from artists and consignors; create new inventory records with unique identifiers; create barcode labels
- Assist with posting on social media platforms
- Assist in event planning for our biennial convention for artists and clients
- Assist in preparing auction inventory for display
- Prepare shipping containers and materials
*Assignments can be tailored to fit the interests and long-term goals of the intern.