Oversees the administration of the SAIC student-run SITE Galleries (SITE Columbus and SITE Sharp) and project spaces, especially in regard to supervision of student staff, scheduling, resource management, installation planning, and daily operations.
Assists Director of Exhibitions and exhibiting artists with the development and implementation of other exhibitions and programming as assigned.
SITE GALLERIES EXHIBITIONS
- Coordinates and chairs student staff meetings to review proposals and make final selection of exhibitions for two SITE Galleries
- Oversees student developed process for proposing exhibitions, including workshops and informational sessions, eligibility and guideline development, and jury and studio visit process.
- Advises during student staff meetings and studio visits with exhibiting artists
- Reviews installation plans with SAIC staff for the assignment of crew, as well as with IRFM and other SAIC staff for safety and security concerns, and communicates with the Art School Considerations Committee when appropriate
- Oversees, trains, and advises student staff for installation, media equipment, and other exhibition needs in coordination with the Department of Exhibitions staff. This includes the production of labels, signage, and pricelists for SITE exhibitions.
- Oversees and advises student staff to develop PR in coordination with the OIA Communications Department and Department of Exhibitions for all SITE exhibitions and other shows as assigned
- Oversees and advises students, faculty, and guest curators to develop and implement programming in coordination with exhibitions in the two SITE galleries
- Coordinates the documentation of gallery shows
NON-SITE EXHIBITIONS AND PROGRAMS
- Oversees planning and implementation of exhibitions as assigned which currently include annual ArtBash exhibition in consultation with Contemporary Practices Department and annual Chicago Public School exhibitions in consultation with the Department of Admissions
- Oversees planning, set-up and oversight for events, workshops, guest speakers, performances, and community/public programing and events as related to SITE or as assigned
- Collaboratively manages institutional “On-Campus Installation Form” that facilitates student and faculty requests for display of student work as part of a class or through individual requests
- Coordinates requests from faculty for scheduling of on-campus class exhibitions in interstitial spaces
- Additionally, the Assistant Director of Exhibitions may propose for review original curatorial projects that can be executed with SITE student staff in a SITE gallery, Sullivan Galleries, or other on or off-campus site, and that can serve as a teaching exercise, while being of interest to the School and public audiences
- Keeps informed of current activity in areas of interest through research, gallery and museum visits, studio visits, and publications to bring ideas to student staff.
GENERAL AND ADMINISTRATIVE
- Trains and oversees SITE student staff in the development and implementation of exhibitions and gallery operations
- Regularly re-examines structure and working methods and recommends and implements changes in consultation with Director of Exhibitions and SITE Advisory Committee
- Attends SITE Advisory Committee meetings
- Coordinates professional development opportunities for student staff
- Interviews potential SITE student staff and conveys recommendations to Director of Exhibitions for final approval
- Coordinates exhibition calendar for SITE Galleries and attendant spaces in Neiman Center and assesses viability in consultation with Director of Exhibitions
- Assists with the development of exhibition archives including documentation and registrarial records
- Updates training manuals for student staff
- Manages activity within allotted budget
- Performs other duties as assigned