On an ongoing basis, Audience Experience at Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the part-time positions of Bartender, Barista/Food Handler and Assistant House Manager.
STEPPENWOLF AUDIENCE EXPERIENCE
Steppenwolf Audience Experience is dedicated to helping everyone coming through our doors feel safe, relaxed and invited. Through presenting an intentional and sincere level of service and hospitality, these positions participate in a team that is committed to cultivating a comfortable and respectful environment that upholds the dignity and experience of our audience, colleagues and guests.
These positions primarily operate in Steppenwolf’s public spaces, which include theater lobbies and Front Bar Coffee and Drinks.
Successful candidates will…
- Commit to an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
- Demonstrate compassion, which includesgenuinely caring about colleagues and guests alike; showing sympathy for the plights of others; exhibiting empathy for the experience of everyone in the room.
- Maintain personal composure, which includes demonstrating maturity; remaining cool under pressure; not becoming defensive or irritated when presented with challenging or unexpected situations; handling stress without showing frustration; serving as a settling influence in a tense situations.
- Comfortably and effectively cope with change and ambiguity, which includes effectively transitioning between tasks and timelines; identifying priorities and making good decisions with a minimum of information; staying relaxed when things are uncertain; confidently managing risk and uncertainty.
- Exhibit interpersonal savvy, which includes relating comfortably to a variety of personalities; cultivating and maintaining positive relationships; employing diplomacy and tact; defusing high-tension situations; seeking the positive in all situations.
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT
Assistant House Managers and Bartenders
Hours of employment are structured in consideration of performances, which are presented Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays, Sundays and select Wednesdays. Extra shift availability is also occasionally available to support special events and extra programming on Monday evenings, weekdays, and weekend mornings.
Front Bar is open from 8am to midnight Tuesday through Sunday and certain Monday evenings, with peak times before and after performances. Morning/opening, daytime, and evening/closing shifts are all available.
Steppenwolf Theatre Company seeks to tell stories about how we live now; its mission is to engage audiences in an exchange of ideas that makes people think harder, laugh longer, feel more. The theatre celebrates and honors the core values of ensemble, innovation and citizenship. Steppenwolf has a commitment to diversity and equity, and the organization has a focus on diversifying the artists, audiences, staff and board who make Steppenwolf great.
As a not-for-profit, ensemble-based theatre company operating in the city of Chicago, the company’s activities encompass a wide range of artistic programs including a seven-play season, a two-play Steppenwolf for Young Adults season, visiting company engagements, a new multi-disciplinary performance series, national and international tours, professional leadership programs, educational programs, and new play commissions and workshops. Steppenwolf seeks to engage its community in a spirited dialogue around today’s issues, which results in more than 200 events produced throughout the year. The company owns five different facilities housing its three theatres, production facilities, offices and other support facilities and is managed under the leadership of Anna D. Shapiro, Artistic Director and David Schmitz, Executive Director.
Compensation is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Part-time employees are eligible for dental, vision, employee assistance program, Ventra Pre-tax Program and a 401(k) retirement program.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.