Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras’ mission is to inspire and cultivate personal excellence through music. CYSO has provided music education through orchestral programs and performance opportunities of the highest caliber since 1946. CYSO is investing in the future of music and the next generation of leaders.
We currently serve more than 650 students ages 6-18 in on-site ensembles including four full orchestras, three string orchestras, jazz orchestra, multiple steel orchestras, and enrichment opportunities including chamber music, masterclasses, and music composition. CYSO musicians learn from Chicago’s most respected professional musicians, perform in the world’s great concert halls, and gain the self-confidence and discipline necessary for a successful future.
CYSO Community Engagement Programs will support instrumental music training and music access for approximately 8,500 young people during the 2018-2019 season. We work with students in underserved neighborhoods through our Ambassadors Program, present free community and education concerts, and partner with institutions including Chicago Public Schools and The People’s Music School.
CYSO alumni go on to play in the world’s finest orchestras and ensembles, and are also found working as teachers, community leaders, doctors, lawyers, entrepreneurs, and business professionals. Whether or not a graduate continues musical studies after their time in CYSO, students leave with a strong sense of discipline, increased self-confidence, and a deep appreciation for music and the arts.
As an organization, CYSO fosters a culture of excellence and professionalism among its staff. Staff members value compassion, collegiality, and an on-going desire to continue learning. The CYSO staff is passionate about music, youth, and education.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Development Coordinator is responsible for assisting the Development Manager and Executive Director in all tasks related to contributed revenue.
Specific duties and responsibilities are:
● Assist in implementing and tracking progress against all development goals and strategies
● Assist in developing CYSO’s Annual Report
● Manage all special event auction donations, in addition to assisting with many aspects of CYSO’s two annual fundraisers including coordination with vendors, venue, guest speakers, student performers, and volunteers
● Provide support for board activities, events, meetings
● Manage donor acknowledgement letters, database maintenance, and donor stewardship activity and tracking
● Maintain awareness of current trends in fundraising and philanthropy
● Other duties and special projects as assigned