Opening: Part-Time Fiber Arts Instructor
To adults who are blind or visually impaired
Schedule: This is a part-time (20 hour per week) role with a flexible daytime schedule.
Description:The Fiber Arts Instructor provides a wide range of instructional activities related to weaving and other fiber arts, including teaching weaving, designing, setting-up looms, and overseeing volunteers.
- Plan, design and oversee weaving projects
- Dress looms or supervise others doing the task
- Teach, coach and train resident weavers; participate in project planning, etc.
- Do finishing work, as needed
- Prepare sale display of woven items and update seasonally
- Prepare permanent exhibits of woven items around the building as required
- Keep records, yarns and equipment in orderly fashion for ease of staff, residents and visits by the public
- Skilled weaver.
- High School graduate or equivalent. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 3 years’ experience teaching weaving, preferred
- 1 year teaching (any content or material), preferred
- Capable sewer
- One year experience with persons with disabilities, preferred
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Beth Elman, Activity and Volunteer Director at firstname.lastname@example.org come in and complete an application
Located on the northwest side of Chicago, Friedman Place is a nonprofit residential community that serves adults aged 22 and up who are blind or visually impaired. Each resident lives in his or her own apartment - there are 81 in the building – with a full bathroom and kitchenette. The building is specially designed for people with visual impairments such as special lighting; changes in floor textures; high-contrast paint colors; handrails; and "talking" elevators so residents may move about safely and freely while at home. Staff, specially trained to work with adults with visual impairments, provides a wide range of services designed so residents lead as full and as independent lives as possible. The agency has 65 employees and 100 volunteers and is led by a volunteer board of directors.
June 25, 2018