POSITION TITLE: Lighting Supervisor (Full Time)
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
At Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, we bring artists, art and audiences together to enrich, engage, and change lives through the experience of dance.
We are seeking a skilled, responsible and mission-driven individual to join Hubbard Street’s Production department. Reporting to the Production Manager, the Lighting Supervisor is charged with executing the technical aspects of the performances as planned by and with the Production Manager. HSDC’s Lighting Supervisor is responsible for maintaining the company’s aesthetic on the stage and will work closely with the Production Manager, artistic staff, choreographers, designers, and HSDC IATSE crew in implementing the production elements for each performance and ensure that the quality and execution of this work is up to the standards of Hubbard Street Dance Chicago both on tour and local engagements.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create advance lighting drawings, paperwork and technical details for all HSDC engagements, in a timely manner to allow proper preparation time for HSDC crew and venue/presenter technical representative(s).
- Maintain working master repertory light plot and paperwork.
- Create and maintain archival lighting records for current and past repertoire.
- Determine, in consultation with the Production Manager, the technical, touring and budgetary feasibility of designs.
- Serve as liaison and assistant to guest designers on new works.
- Oversee the Lighting Department’s portion, in consultation with the Master Electrician, of the load-in, focus, technical rehearsals and performances.
- Execute lighting focus for all performances.
- Set lighting cues for all performances. Faithfully recreate and interpret design work to fit within performance and venue constraints.
- Assist the Production Manager in facilitating the successful creation of new works, acquisitions and revival repertoire:
- Gather contract bids for technical elements produced by outside vendors, specifically lighting and SFX elements.
- Participate as necessary in production meetings, studio and technical rehearsals.
- Additional duties as needed by the Production Manager and other HSDC staff.
- Ensure a safe working environment for load-ins, rehearsals, performances, and load-outs.
- With the Production Manager, mentor and manage the workflow of a seasonal production intern.