The Master Carpenter (MC) works closely with the Technical Director and Assistant Technical Director on build, load-ins, strikes, and maintenance of Lookingglass’ productions. Lookingglass performs in the Water Tower Water Works building on the Magnificent Mile, and builds scenery in our 12,000 sqf scene shop in West Town. For more information about our upcoming season please see the Lookingglass website.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Fabricating scenery using standard theatrical construction and metalwork methods.
• Referencing and utilizing production related paper work including, but not limited to, construction drawings, designer drawings, rigging plots, inventories, Google calendars and work lists.
• Act as shop foreman during build of each mainstage production, leading 2-4 overhire carpenters through construction of scenery at LTC’s 12,000 sqf shop (40 hrs/week)
• With the TD/ATD, coordinate with the paints department to ensure proper usage of shop space and timely production/treatment of scenery.
• With the TD/ATD, coordinate with the props department to ensure proper usage of shop space and timely production/treatment of collaborative prop & scenic elements.
• Ensure proper use and handling of all LTC tools and equipment by overhire employees, adhering to industry safety standards at the shop and the theatre. Troubleshoot and maintain LTC tools and equipment throughout build/changeover/notes.
• Maintain quality control of all scenery produced by overhire carpentry staff.
• Communicate to the TD/ATD if any repairs need to occur between build periods.
• Monitor stock hardware and materials
• Maintain LTC’s audience seating inventory storage, and work with the ATD to implement each seating configuration based on the show’s design.
• Assist in leading 8-10 carpenters during strike , load in and reconfiguration of LTC’s seating risers and balcony for each production, as assigned by the TD (40 hrs/week)
• Assist TD/ATD in leading 2-4 carpenters in notes calls during tech and previews for each production (20-40 hrs/week)
• Act as primary rigger at theater during changeover. Frequently work at height, on a ladder and climbing a pipe grid.
• Adhere to LTC’s fall protection plan and utilize necessary safety equipment, including a harness and fall arrest lanyard.
• Act as primary 24’ truck driver between shop and theater during changeover