The David L. Hoyt Education Foundation was formed to develop and promote play-based and collaborative learning. We recognize the need to encourage and foster education, community, and responsible citizenship. We create accessible experiences and related curricula that engage learners with fun and interactive games and puzzles. The foundation, and its team, values teamwork, fun, innovation, critical thinking, leadership, empathy, creativity, and literacy.
The goal of Word Play Way is to advocate play and literacy through the power of words. We hope by bringing this project to Douglas Park, North Lawndale, we can provide members of the community with a way to engage with each other.
This public art project will be painted on the sidewalk using 1500 letter stencils to create over 5000 letters. The letters form words spelled out in winding patterns, and the words become the poem. The installation will cover a footpath within Douglas Park, near the corner of California and Ogden, in North Lawndale.
Volunteer Roles Available:
- Installation: Painting the Word Play Way on the sidewalk
- Dedication Event: Launch event set up, documentation and general upkeep
- Programming: Participating in Word Play Way programming, promoting the project to classes and community groups in North Lawndale
- Community Info Session: July 25th, 2018, 6:30 pm, Douglas Park Field House
- Volunteer Orientation: July 27th, 2018, 4:00 pm, Chicago Literacy Alliance
- Installation: First week of August 2018, Douglas Park