Chicago Shakespeare Theater is currently accepting Stage Management Intern applications for our upcoming summer productions (shows to be announced soon). Please list your availability in your cover letter. Applications must be received by March 1, 2019.
As an intern in Chicago Shakespeare Theater’s Production department, you will be joining a world-class group of artisans, craftspeople, carpenters, and technicians. Together, the Production Management, Stage Management, Scenic, Props, Costumes, Lighting, Sound and Wigs departments execute the visions of the many directors and designers who come through Chicago Shakespeare’s doors. With the opening of our new flexible performance space, The Yard in 2017, the Production department ensures unique learning experiences for our interns.
Chicago Shakespeare’s Stage Management Internship offers a unique, hands-on, professional experience. Interns work directly with seasoned Equity Stage Managers and are an integral part of the Stage Management Team. Interns gain valuable experience working at a leading regional theater with experienced Directors, Designers, Choreographers and Performers.
The Stage Management Internship will ideally begin in late May or early June. The exact start and end dates are negotiable. The Stage Management Intern is expected to be present for pre-production, all rehearsals, techs, and preview performances. This is typically a 6 day/week commitment with rehearsal hours that typically span from 10am-6pm prior to tech rehearsals. Chicago Shakespeare is committed to building diversity and inclusion onstage and throughout the organization. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
- Assist the stage managers during the prep and rehearsal process of a production
- Set up rehearsal spaces and maintaining the rehearsal environment
- Work closely with administrative and technical departments
- Help maintain databases, calendars, and production records
- A modest travel stipend
- College credit as available through a student’s academic institution
- Complimentary tickets to CST performances
- A review of the intern’s resume and portfolio with CST Staff Members
- Invitations to company-wide events with actors, designers and other artists
- Free and reduced-price tickets to other Chicago theaters through "industry" offers
- Unfortunately we are not able to provide housing.