Merit School of Music seeks a highly qualified String Program Manager to start immediately. The String Program Manager is responsible for providing daily support to students, families and faculty in the Bridges: Partners in Music Programs, the Instrumental and Vocal Music Program, Private Lesson Program and the Alice S. Pfaelzer Tuition-free Conservatory. The String Program Manager provides day-to-day support for classes, assists in planning special events (concerts, competitions, etc.) and facilitates basic communication with parents and students.
Since its founding in 1979, Merit School of Music has successfully motivated and inspired over 50,000 young people with high-quality music instruction. The School’s broad-ranging comprehensive curriculum, extensive level of financial aid, sense of community and the standard of excellence set forth by the faculty and students are major components of its success.
Merit offers a multi-leveled, structured curriculum in a college preparatory environment. Programs take place at the Joy Faith Knapp Music Center in Chicago’s West Loop and at nearly 30 locations in neighborhoods across the City. Instruction is offered to approximately 5,000 students of all ages, from infants to adults, and from beginners to the Juilliard-bound by over 150 accomplished faculty members.
Merit has an annual operating budget of $6 million, of which nearly half is supported by contributed revenue.
Merit School of Music transforms the lives of Chicago-area youth by providing the highest quality music education – with a focus on underserved communities – inspiring young people to achieve their full musical and personal potential.
The String Program Manager reports to Strings and Orchestra Program Director.
Responsibilities of the String Program Manager include, but are not limited to:
• Assist with and provide support to Merit’s string and orchestra programs
• Assist Program Director with the student recommendation process and facilitate student’s progress through the Merit Continuum of Programs
• Assist Program Director with parent, teacher, student, and partner communications
• Assist with the planning and execution of Merit events and concerts as assigned
• Other activities as assigned
The ideal candidate would possess the following qualifications:
• Highly organized and proactive problem-solver
• Strong ability to communicate effectively and professionally
• Ability to work well in a team-oriented environment
• Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and complete at a high level
• Experience in a fast-paced administrative environment
• Musical background with string instruments is required
• Bi-lingual in Spanish or Mandarin is a plus
• Bachelor’s degree required
• Applicable course study or relevant experience in music preferred
• 25-30 hours per week
• Schedule is flexible and may vary based on workload but will include Tuesday and Thursday afternoons/evenings (3:00-7:30 p.m.) and some weekday mornings (9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
• At least 2 Saturdays (9:00a.m.-5:00p.m.) per month required September - May
Compensation for this position is $18.00 per hour
Interested candidates should send résumé to:
No phone calls or faxes please.
For more information about Merit School of Music, please visit www.meritmusic.org.
Merit School of Music does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, religious belief, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veteran status, physical or mental disability or any other protected status in admission or access to, or employment in its programs and activities.