Northlight Theatre is a professional LORT D theatre located just north of Chicago with an annual budget of $3.2 million, producing a 5-play mainstage season, the Interplay new play program, a dynamic year-round audience engagement and education program. For more information about the theatre: www.northlight.org.
Overall Description: Northlight Theatre in Skokie, IL seeks an experienced full-time Technical Director. Working under the supervision of the Production Manager, the Technical Director is responsible for insuring that the best possible product goes on stage through implementing all scenic technical requirements within the pre-established budget parameters. The Technical Director is also responsible for the management of the Northlight Scene Shop.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the day-to-day operation of the scene shop, and oversee all aspects of set and large properties construction and fabrication for Northlight shows and clients. This includes procuring of materials, supplies, drafting of working drawings and load-in plans, as well as the scheduling of the timely completion of each project.
- Manage scenic and properties load in, installation, & strike.
- Attend technical rehearsals and production meetings as needed and tend to all resulting notes in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate physical technical production elements with other production staff.
- With Production Manager, supervise the Assistant to the Production Manager/Assistant Technical Director.
- Maintain or schedule personnel to maintain scenic elements during each production as needed.
- Oversee maintenance of scene shop material inventories, tools, & labor.
- Manage and coordinate the hiring and scheduling of carpenters, scenic painters, load-in and strike crew with the Production Manager.
- Manage and coordinate shop carpenters, scene shop projects, and assignments on a daily basis.
- Maintain all scene shop vendor relations and file all necessary invoices and receipts with the Business Office for the scene shop in a timely manner.
- Coordinate and supervise the transfer or tour of the scenic elements of any mainstage production.