Position: High String Instructor (Violin and Viola), Sistema Ravinia Waukegan
Through its REACH*TEACH*PLAY education programs, Ravinia brings music to Chicago area schools and communities. High String Instructors will provide group instruction and assist in large ensembles for Sistema Ravinia located in Waukegan. Inspired by the influential El Sistema model, students in the program receive daily ensemble and orchestra instruction in their chosen instrument. Sistema Ravinia fosters social development through exceptional music training for Chicago area students.
Description of Position
The High String Instructor will be responsible for teaching students in small and large groups and implementing an innovative curriculum. All instructors will work as a team to inspire students while maintaining a standard of excellence. Sistema Ravinia is in session during the school year and 5 weeks during the summer. This position reports to Sistema Ravinia’s Nucleo Manager and is paid an hourly rate.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Collaborate with the Nucleo Manager to provide high-quality orchestral instruction for every student
· Teach small and large group sectionals and ensembles
· Assist with full orchestra rehearsals when needed (tuning instruments, reinforcing conductor instruction)
· Active participation in faculty development sessions to help create and implement shared ideals, an innovative curriculum and pedagogy that supports each child holistically
· Assess student progress (musical literacy, proficiency and appreciation) on an ongoing basis
· Working after school with some evenings and weekends required for concerts and special activities
· Interaction with young students, parents and administrators where the safety of the students is paramount